House behind house unit development
If you have a large backyard, you may have the ability to build a brand new house on your current lot without having to demolish your existing home. If so, this style of development could potentially offer some fantastic rewards on your path to financial freedom. Advantages of this type of development may include:
- Adding an additional income stream by renting a second property (if an investment property already).
- Sell one of the properties and continue to live in the other (if it’s your primary place of residence). This option will give you the freedom to downsize whist still living in your neighbourhood.
- An opportunity for a potential profit that could be utilised to pay off your mortgage or simply put cash in the bank.
Although it is a very similar process to a duplex development, a House-Behind-House development will need to incorporate several other aspects to allow sufficient vehicle movement / parking areas and to ensure that the existing house meets current planning regulations. Developments by Impressions will ensure site meetings are held to accurately assess the opportunities and constraints in each and every project with a focus on maximising your returns.
House Behind House, Padbury
- Restricted access between new rear lot and existing house
- New policy provisions from the City of Joondalup – Verge Car Parking and Street Trees to be incorporated into the design
- Complicated topography onsite – retaining and access to be expertly designed and managed to ensure cost effective outcomes and comfortable access of the site for future occupiers.
- R40 zoning
The property owner wanted to keep the existing dwelling and build a new house to the rear. Wanting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, double garage design outcome – and given the tight confines of the site – design was going to be a critical element. Utilising much of the planning code and using design variations where best suited, the development was designed incredibly well and ensured the brief from the client was achieved. The existing dwelling maintains separate access and parking whilst creating a fantastic private space within the front street setback area. Additional private open space is also provided to the rear of the home. Access to the rear house is spaciously achieved and allows for good vehicle movements. Minimal boundary building has ensured excellent design outcomes whilst delivering a spacious and modern home on the new rear lot. Significant retaining walls were incorporated into the design to tackle existing site topography issues which blend seamlessly into he end development outcome.